I am, and have always been, a mix tape junkie. In fact, you probably don't want to get me started on all of the reasons why they are the greatest, most awesome things ever. And don't even bother telling me that technically they're not "tapes" anymore because I don't care. The CD is just the vessel, the heart is the mix tape.
There is no magic formula for what I put on a mix tape that I make for myself. It's usually just a bunch of songs that I enjoy belting out in the car from a variety of genres. There are so many songs that I love (for many different reasons) that I want to horde them all for myself. My precious...
Earlier this year I made a mix I called Mixology 2014. Then I was mad when a really bad summer TV show premiered called Mixology. Needless to say, the two are not affiliated in any way (though that would be funny).
Today I made Mixology vol. 2. I now present you with the track list. Enjoy.
1. Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme song
2. Just a Friend - Biz Markie
3. Long Hard Times to Come - Gangstagrass
4. Hurt - Johnny Cash
5. Jolene - Dolly Parton
6. Rhinestone Cowboy - Glenn Campbell
7. The Cover of the Rolling Stone - Dr. Hook
8. We Built This City - Starship
9. Can't Fight This Feeling - REO Speedwagon
10. I Wan to Know What Love Is - Foreigner
11. Home Sweet Home - Motley Crue
12. Alone - Heart
13. Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor
14. Say You, Say Me - Lionel Richie
15. Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band
16. The End - Nancy Sinatra
17. Be My Yoko Ono - Barenaked Ladies
18. Everything is Awesome - Paulette workout mix
And, as a bonus, some recommended reading:
Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield
This man knows all about the science behind mix tapes and how to create the best ones for any situation.
Also, I'm not going to tell you why I picked the songs I picked. Feel free to speculate.
"Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the sooner we will be able to treat life as art."